[plug] Kontact Windows port?

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Sun Feb 27 18:39:46 WST 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:50, Chris Caston wrote:
> I was just reading the Trolltech website and I found an article
> saying that Kolab was porting Kontact to Windows thanks to the new QT
> 4 licensing.
>
> http://partners.trolltech.com/news/00000008.html
>
> Anyone want to comment on this?

I welcome anything that
(a) reduces the amount of viruses being spread by MS Lookout users and
the resulting annoying attempts to infect the rest of us, supposed
bounces from misconfigured virus checkers, and Spam Assassin processing
thereof;
(b) reduces the influence of illegal monopolies;
(c) enables users to send and receive secure and standards-compliant
e-mail even if they are unfortunate enough to use an inferior operating
system; and
(d) eases operating system migration by allowing users to gradually
familiarise themselves with the software they will be using.

Yes, we already have Thunderbird, and it did allow me to migrate more
easily, but in my opinion, it simply doesn't cut it compared to KMail.
I'm not sure if my hangups have been addressed, but

The arguments opposing such efforts that I have seen so far include
- "it's a waste of resources that should be spent on improving the
software on free platforms" and
- "attractive software will persuade users to make the jump to Linux if
it isn't available on their current operating system".

The flaw of the first argument is the assumption that the resources used
to port the software would otherwise be allotted to the desired tasks.
In a largely volunteer-based effort, that may or may not be the case,
as contributors choose to participate in one task, another, or none at
all depending on their own needs and motivations.

I don't believe the second argument for a moment. Users are more likely
to choose different software than switch operating systems in order to
begin using a certain piece of software, especially if that switch
means giving up some other software. A better way to convince users to
switch, then, is to show them good free software that makes their lives
easier and tell them "there's more where that came from".

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/