[plug] [revisited] mp3 downsizing

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Mon Jan 3 03:24:12 WST 2005

Gavin Chester wrote:

> My issue pales into non-existence compared to Brad's recent
> self-destruct episode.  I feel for you.

Heh! it did it again today! Bastard of a machine. However I only lost the incoming E-mail that had
come in for about an hour after I managed a sucessfull backup. <whew>.

As for your problem Gavin. My thought was to use something to rip the id3 info out of the file
(there are plenty of libraries and such to do this), write it to a temp file somewhere. Downsize the
mp3 and then use something to tack the id3 info back on again.

id3tool will do what you need.

bklaptop:/tracks/mpeg/goons>id3tool Goons\ 58-03-03\ 0823\ The\ Spon\ Plague.mp3
Filename: Goons 58-03-03 0823 The Spon Plague.mp3
Song Title:     The Great Spon Plague
Artist:         The Goon Show
Album:          The Goons
Note:           58-03-03 Series 08 Episode 23
Year:           1957
Genre:          Comedy (0x39)

Parse this using your tool of choice into fields and enter them into the new mp3 file like so:-

usage:
id3tool [<options>] <filename>
   -t, --set-title=WORD          Sets the title to WORD
   -a, --set-album=WORD          Sets the album to WORD
   -r, --set-artist=WORD         Sets the artist to WORD
   -y, --set-year=YEAR           Sets the year to YEAR [4 digits]
   -n, --set-note=WORD           Sets the note to WORD
   -g, --set-genre=INT           Sets the genre code to INT
   -G, --set-genre-word=WORD     Sets the genre to WORD
   -c, --set-track=INT           Sets the track number to INT
   -l, --genre-list              Shows the Genre's and their codes
   -v, --version                 Displays the version
   -h, --help                    Displays this message

id3tool -t"The Great Spon Plague" -a"The Goons" .. and so on.. you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

Brad