[plug] Fedora Core 3 and XDMCP (connecting from FC3 to Remote)

Quintin Lette qlette at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 10:37:29 WST 2005

Hi,

Has anyone successfully done this? I can't seem to find the problem.

I have FC3 on my laptop and am trying to connect via XDMCP to my Sun
machine (running Solaris 9). I can connect to the sun machine using
the laptop if booting into Knoppix or Sun Java Desktop live cds. I
have also tried using exceed from WinXP desktop.

SSH X Forwarding is not a workable solution as there are issues
running Java GUIs over ssh. (a lot of Solaris apps have java guis and
need them) and the problem definately lies within my FC3 install, as I
can connect from other versions of linux.

The error is something like: cannot access display.

I have tried using following commands:

(from console)
X vt9 :1 -query phoenix
Xorg vt9 :1 -query phoenix
X vt9 :1 -query phoenix -from 192.168.0.19

(from X)
Xnest :1 -query phoenix
(tried -from aswell)

Thanks in advance for any assistance