[plug] Novel way to port forward over ssh

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Jan 4 10:50:49 WST 2005

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:59:54PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > And if you were paranoid, you could utilize the command= option on
> > ssh keys to *only* allow certain commands.
>
> I've actually run into a really weird problem with doing that.
> Bizarrely, ssh is doing LF->CRLF conversion on the output stream when
> sending data from a command that was run using 'command=' in
> authorized_keys. If the command is run as the normal command argument on
> ssh rather than forced in authorized_keys, the line ending conversion is
> not done.
>
> The server is running Debian Woody, so I'll be upgrading sshd soon to
> see if that fixes it.

That's seriously bizarre. I've been running nightly rsync/ssh
backups to a woody server running 1:3.4p1-1.woody.3 using this
method and have never noticed any problems.

> I've found other reports of some of the symptoms of this (such as
> corrupt gzip data) but no reports of it being identified as line ending
> conversion. Nonetheless, I've been able to confirm that's what's
> happening ... mighty strange.

Out of interest, what exact versions are on the client/server sides?

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>