[plug] Novel way to port forward over ssh

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 5 08:26:28 WST 2005

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 11:59:54PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Bizarrely, ssh is doing LF->CRLF conversion on the output stream
> when sending data from a command that was run using 'command=' in
> authorized_keys. If the command is run as the normal command argument
> on ssh rather than forced in authorized_keys, the line ending
> conversion is not done.

Sorry for coming late to this thread. In sshd(8), where the 'command'
syntax is described, the following passage is of significance:

    The command is run on a pty if the client requests a pty; otherwise
    it is run without a tty.  If a 8-bit clean channel is required, one
    must not request a pty or should specify no-pty.

I think that the cause of end-of-line conversion is that ssh thinks
it is providing output to a terminal which requires it. I use no-pty
myself and I have not had problems with end-of-line conversion.