[plug] `Expect` and `cron` <http://expect.nist.gov>

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 6 11:11:49 WST 2005

Hi,

In message <90cc85d905010518465be104b5 at mail.gmail.com>
on Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 10:46:56AM +0800, Jason Belcher wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:07:58 +0800, James Devenish
> <devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> >  - Other ways of using MySQL from the command line.
> mysql ... -p[password] < file_with_sql_commands ?
> Completely unsecure if other people can read your crontab

Unfortunately, it's also completely insecure because other people
can view the arguments of root's processes using a variety of simple
mechanisms such as `ps`, /proc, etc. Hence the 'argh' in my post.
However, I know discover (it does not appear in the man pages) that
it might be possible to specify a "my.cnf" file to solve my problem.
Will report back if I have success.