[plug] Problems with Sendmail

Mark O'Shea mark at musicalstoat.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 12:16:39 WST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:48, J. Richard Mortimer wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>

> I’ve been a long time Linux user, however I’ve been sucked back into
> the Windows world and my skillset in the *nix area is a little bit
> rusty.
>

> I run a box at home, which is mainly for webserving my photos, and
> allows me to write some Perl scripts for various tasks and gives the
> “logic” side of my brain some food to munch on every now and again.
> This week I’d been updating some scripts and thought it would be nice
> to send some emails out to my WestNet account, rather than staying
> local and using POP3 to grab my email, as time at home seems limited
> these days. This is when all my dramas began.
>

> I made a backup of my /etc directory, which was stored on a HD on
> another machine, however that machine has since died and I can’t get
> the information back – *sigh*, the data-gods have been against me so
> far this year.
>

> The sendmail version is “Sendmail 8.12.5”, RHL version is “Linux
> webbot 2.4.18-14”.
>

> Trying to send an email to the only user on the box results in an
> error message in the maillog stating:
>

> Jan  7 11:07:41 neophytte sendmail[1781]: j0737fKV001781: from=root,
> size=630376, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<200501070307.j0737fKV001781 at neophytte.mine.nu>,
> relay=root at localhost
>
> Jan  7 11:07:41 neophytte sendmail[1781]: j0737fKV001781: to=mortimer,
> ctladdr=root (0/0), delay=00:00:00, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay,
> pri=30014, relay=neophytte.mine.nu. [202.72.154.34], dsn=4.0.0,
> stat=Deferred: Connection refused by neophytte.mine.nu.
>

> Trying the verbose mode of sendmail gives me this:
>

> [root at webbot mail]# sendmail -v mortimer
>
> blah
>
> .
>
> mortimer... Connecting to neophytte.mine.nu. via relay...
>
> mortimer... Deferred: Connection refused by neophytte.mine.nu.
>
> [root at webbot mail]#
>

> I’ve rebuilt the sendmail.cf file from the sendmail.mc file with the
> m4 command (as research has indicated I should do), but this error
> still persists. This is a copy of the sendmail.mc file:
>

> [root at webbot mail]# cat sendmail.mc
>
> divert(-1)
>
> dnl This is the sendmail macro config file. If you make changes to
> this file,
>
> dnl you need the sendmail-cf rpm installed and then have to generate a
>
> dnl new /etc/mail/sendmail.cf by running the following command:
>
> dnl
>
> dnl        m4 /etc/mail/sendmail.mc > /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
>
> dnl
>
> include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')
>
> VERSIONID(`linux setup for Red Hat Linux')dnl
>
> OSTYPE(`linux')
>
> dnl Uncomment and edit the following line if your mail needs to be
> sent out
>
> dnl through an external mail server:
>
> define(`SMART_HOST',`mail.westnet.com.au')
>
> define(`confDEF_USER_ID',``8:12'')dnl
>
> undefine(`UUCP_RELAY')dnl

> [...]
Hi again Richard,

Having read through your message again it looks like I might have
missunderstood what you are trying to do.  Are you trying to send mail
locally (ie, you want sendmail to connect to itself via localhost rather
than eth0)?  And are you hoping to be able to send mail externally
relaying through westnet's email servers?  Or hoping to send mail
directly to the recipient's mail server?

--
Mark O'Shea