[plug] PHP

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 9 19:27:52 WST 2005

Hi,

In message <41E10C1E.6020007 at westnet.com.au>
on Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 06:49:02PM +0800, garry wrote:
> Can anyone give me a clue here please?...Couple of weeks ago apache
> stopped working with a segfault. Suspecting a [dying] HDD, I
> removed/purged apache [Debian stable] and it worked again,

Can I suggest that (a) a dying HDD is not going to be aided by purging
and reinstalling software, and (b) don't uninstall/reinstall as a
troubleshooting measure. I think there is only a vanishing probability
that a transient crash is caused by a corrupt application installation.
A permissions problem is vaguely possible, but a 'reinstall' should
fix that (by 'reinstall' I'm thinking `apt-get --reinstall install
<packagename>`) -- this doesn't involve purging your configuration.
Of course, it seems to have "worked" for you in this case, which I
might consider to be a bit of a worry :(

> But it is asking if I want to open/save uptime.php.. So obviously the
> PHP processor isn't doing its thing. This is since the Apache
> reinstallation.

I recall that Chris Caston seems to have had this problem in the past,
too. I'm not quite sure how this situation arises on a Debian system,
but it is generally reminiscent of Apache missing one of the following
directives from /etc/apache/httpd.conf (assuming Apache 1):

LoadModule php4_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libphp4.so
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

(Although, I'm not sure that you really need the AddType line with
PHP4.) Is the LoadModule line present?