[plug] Ready for linux

Russ Pitman rjp at westnet.com.au
Sun Jan 9 20:02:16 WST 2005

Subject modified to maintain a complete thread
without any permission.
----- Forwarded message from mary welch <kiwiaus2003 at bigpond.com> -----

From: mary welch <kiwiaus2003 at bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 17:27:47 +0800
Subject: thank you
To: Russ Pitman <rjp at westnet.com.au>

i do not know what libranet version 2.8.1 is?could you please explain. i
want to install mandrake-linux but i am very new at partitioning my
computer so I can use xp with mandrake and then mandrake alone. i have
always used windows but now what to change. I use thunderbird and
firefox very little window products.not even windows firewall i use zone
alarm and avgfree edition virus protection.
mary

========
Libranet is a distribution of Linux based on the debian collection of linux
software, Mandrake is a distribution based on linux software chosen by the
Mandrake organisation. There is approx fourty other distributions of various
collections.
To go on from there would be opening pandora's box :-)

>From reading the list you have or can make an adequate backup so you have
three paths to choose from.

a: Get a knoppix disk and try linux without touching the hard drive---highly
recommended.

b: Put the Mandrake Cd in the machine and boot (from the CD) The very worst
thing will mean reformatting the drive. If the mandrake installer doesen't
offer to repartition the drive its broken anyway.

c: Reconsider a:

Cheers,

Russ
PS. Pls reply to the list :-)

mary welch wrote:

>> i have backup all my files i need. i also have my own disc of
windows xp
>> pro if anything gones wrong. i am now ready to partition my
>> computer.please could someone either e-mail me the best way to do this
>> or tell me a website to go to that i can follow to do this.does
>> mandrake-linux work with isdn connection for the internet.i work with
>> telstra . i live in the country and don't have anyone near me to
help me
>> with the partitioning.

I have been using Libranet version 2.8.1 over ISDN for the past year if that
is any significance, it has the the best installer for anyone with "new"
knowledge,it's basically Debian Sarge and maintaining is a breeze.

Originally for fee only it is now free as in nocharge, comes on 2cd's. I
don't know your location,I am in Gosnells/Perth, have several sets available
and am happy to recommend them to anyone.

If collecting them is a problem I'll mail them to you.
Cheers.
Russ