[plug] New CA distro?

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Mon Jan 10 11:02:08 WST 2005

Senectus . wrote:

>I was browsing the plug site and I noticed this:
>Giving back to the community: putting together a new Debian
>Sarge-based distribution for Computer Angels.
>
>Just out of interest, why are they making a distro of their own?
>Wouldn't it make more sense to use plain jane Ubuntu (not being
>biased.. its just that  Ubuntu from what I can tell is Sarge
>anyway...).
>
>I'm not attacking their methods, just taking an interest :-)

As an ordinary member of CA, here is my understanding..

CA is involved in using computers which are far from cutting edge..

The distro must therefore only contain a task oriented selection [hdd
space] of small effective applications [RAM shortage] in a lean window
manager.. As CA's major mission is computer literacy, a given set of
software makes training much easier..

It also has to be very stable to use, and have a wide selection of
device drivers available.. It has to "just work", the clients don't need
to tweek anything..

Also phylisphically, only "free" software is used. Licencing is an
important consideration, if there is ambiguity it is not used.

Now this is my understanding OK? I used to be more active in CA, but not
since I moved down south.

I am sure if emphasis is not as I have outined I will be corrected, but
that is the thinking as I understand it..  8^)===

Garry