[plug] New CA distro?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jan 10 11:20:56 WST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 11:02 +0800, garry wrote:

> As an ordinary member of CA, here is my understanding..
>
> CA is involved in using computers which are far from cutting edge..

ie GNOME is not an option, full stop. We need to stick to one GUI
toolkit, etc etc.

> The distro must therefore only contain a task oriented selection [hdd
> space] of small effective applications [RAM shortage] in a lean window
> manager.. As CA's major mission is computer literacy, a given set of
> software makes training much easier..
>
> It also has to be very stable to use, and have a wide selection of
> device drivers available.. It has to "just work", the clients don't need
> to tweek anything..

Yep. There's also the small matter that Ubuntu wasn't around (or we
didn't know about it) when we started work on it ;-)

It should be noted that they system is disk image based, so in many ways
we're more creating a custom install rather than a distro.

--
Craig Ringer