[plug] Hella Update

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 16:56:54 WST 2005

Hey Chris,

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 12:07:31 +0800, christopher whittaker
<chriswhittaker at smartchat.net.au> wrote:
> I have just upgraded(?) my Fedora Core 2 to Fedora Core 3 and whilst it
> all went well on the upgrade the reboot is another story.
>
> On the log out it told me it was removing kudzu and stopping the smart
> daemon (smartd). Never had that happen before. Didnt ask me if i wanted
> them removed or stopped either.
>
> On reboot as it goes through the lists of services it starts it read
> START CROND       FAILED
> everything else on the list was OK.
>

>From the console as root try service crond restart and see i you get
any messages in either /var/log/cron or /var/log/messages

> When logging in all  can get is the XTERM, joy!! (both as ROOT and USER)

Sounds like a minimal desktop environment - i think Fedora 3 comes
with fvwm. I'm assuming you have some sort of working X setup curently

> Have tried the  "sessions'  choices at the log in window , only choice
> is the default session or the failsafe session. I did set Gnome as the
> preferred application in the settings prior to logout. ( I dont have KDE
> loaded).

Try "switchdesk GNOME" from the command line.

The upgrade may have missed or refused to upgrade some core packages.
The Fedora rpm set is getting better depndancies due to using yum but
its still nowhere near the standard of debian package set.

>From memory the packages you need to get a minimal gnome session up are

gdm, gnome-session, control-center, gnome-panel, gnome-applets(i think)

> Whilst I am sure I can have mountains of fun in the XTERM environment I
> really prefer the safety and comfort of the GUI and would appreciate any
> advise on how to get back there, preferably without a full install.

Good luck.

Carl G