[plug] want to buy [cheap] network cards

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Tue Jan 11 00:14:46 WST 2005

Evening All,

On 10 Jan 2005, at 1:02 PM, David Buddrige wrote:

> Hi all,
> Got an 8 port hub for Xmas, and subsequently am wanting to set up a
> home network, as well as a linux proxy server so I can have several
> computers surfing over the one internet link.
> I am wanting to pick up some [second-hand or cheap] network cards -
> I've an old Pentium 200 that is earmarked as the proxy server but it
> doesn't have a network card installed.  Does anyone know where you can
> pick up second hand network cards?  I've not been able to locate
> Computer Salvage either in the white or yellow pages - have they gone
> out of business?
> thanks all
> David. 8-)

Take a serious look at IPcop  http://www.ipcop.org is all you seem to
require in the one box originally a Smoothwall derivative, but has
manifested into a independent linux distribution which is a gateway
firewall proxy server and a lot more with a huge community support.
Hence, their are many addons that most admins or interested persons
would require.

As for the network cards try Discount Computers at Ross's in Maylands
around the $10 for PCI 3com netgear (linksys) and even the odd Intel
10/100, I would suspect ISA be a bit cheeper?

Cheers!

Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a
subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the
manufactured objects." Sartre.