APT package management was: [plug] Dropped Mandrake RPMs for Gentoo (should be Debian) package management

Michael Hunt michael at aussie.oddsocks.net
Fri Jan 14 10:54:46 WST 2005

Gavin originally wrote:

> The big thing about APT (I know, you already know) is that you don't
> worry about dependency madness at all.  The only thing you have to
> worry about using APT is getting a good list of repositories and
> avoiding cross-repository-version madness.  But then that's the same
> with any APT repositories in Debian too, isn't it?

Then followed up Michael's reply with:

> Whoops!  I didn't see that I was fueling the old distro flame war.  I
> was just advocating how great APT was regardless of distro ;^)

My meaning was intentionally humorous but I forgot the smileys :-) LUG's
are regularly meant to have distro wars. It purges the source. :-) [0]

Let it be known. I love apt. (Not enough to get a tattoo).

> > When your distro's default repository comes with over 10,000 packages
> > there really is not a lot of need to add other repositories.

This was to highlight Debians major selling point is not necessarily its
apt package management, but rather the number and quality of it's
packages.

> I'm afraid the rest of your post was above my head :-0.

Sorry didn't mean it to be. As a fairly die hard Debian enthusiast
(thanks to PLUG mind you) I was trying to say that even its (that is
Debian's) greatest strength is not without its problems. Sometimes one
tool designed to do a certain job (stable server) doesn't always offer
the flexibility we would like when we apply it to another job (up to
date desktop with bells and whistles).

Ubuntu has filled a void within me. (Boy do I need sleep :-) !!!).

If you are thinking of upgrading RedHat 8 to something newer maybe you
could give Ubuntu a try and see how it stacks up. I have some free
install CD's to give away and if you are interest one I can see about
getting one to you.

> Gavin.

Michael Hunt

[0] Ok so I am opening myself to all sorts of puns to emerge here.
(Really need sleep).