[plug] Ubuntu 4.10, custom 2.6 kernel & ATI's fglrx graphics driver

Frederic Valton fred-lists at digitalfabric.com.au
Fri Jan 14 18:18:22 WST 2005

Hi,

I've been trying to puzzle this one out for the last few days but
without much success and thought that some lateral thinkers on the PLUG
mailing list might be able to help.

1. The problem:

I have no GL acceleration under Unbuntu 4.10 running a customised
(patched) version of kernel 2.6.7. The graphics card is an ATI X800.

2. Drivers:

Both the Ubuntu fglrx-driver and ATI's own fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6 have been
tested.

3. Details:

All libGL.so.1 and libGL.so.1.2 symbolic links point to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 installed with the fglrx driver.

lsmod indicates that following modules are loaded (amongst others):

Module                  Size  Used by
via_agp                 6784  1
agpgart                27624  1 via_agp
fglrx                 234268  0

yet fgl_glxgears produces the error: "Error: couldn't get fbconfig"

and fglrxinfo states:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

ie. references the old xlibmesa-gl driver.

4. The puzzle:

Both versions of the fglrx driver work under Ubuntu's 2.6.8.1-4-k7 and
2.6.8.1-4-386 kernels _and_ the ATI fglrx driver works fine with the
same custom 2.6.7 kernel but this time under Debian Sarge.

What am I missing? Any help would be much appreciated.