[plug] Connecting to a Linux Desktop from Mac OS X

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 16 12:08:32 WST 2005

Hi,

In message <1105797241.32500.57.camel at localhost.localdomain>
on Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:54:01PM +0800, Michael Hunt wrote:
> Since there is no tsclient for Mac OS X, I took a look at the process
> table and discovered that the command being run was :-

I know nothing about tsclient, but FYI Google seems to indicate that at
least a couple of third-party teams have ported tsclient to Mac OS X.
However, these ports are designed to be used within the DarwinPorts and
Fink frameworks.

> Running this from within a standard terminal session results in a :-
>
> Fatal server error:
> Unable to open display "".

What do you mean by "standard terminal session". From a quick reading
with Google, it seems like Xnest should do exactly what you want. In
fact, I just tried on from Mac OS X and I didn't get the error. (I
didn't get a GDM login either, though: I just got a generic grey X11
background with the 'X' cursor.)

> A little beyond the scope of this question, but in the same sort of ball
> park does any one know of quick setup guide to setting up X forwarding
> over ssh tunnels? Running an app (say BlogGTK) remotely and securely on
> any of my desktops would be great.

Two steps, as discussed on this list many times before:
 - Ensure your ssh server (sshd_config) is configured to allow
   X11Forwarding.
 - Ensure your ssh client (~/.ssh/config) is configure to use
   X11Forwarding. Alternatively, specify the "-X" option on the
   command like on a case-by-case basis. E.g. from a Mac OS X
   machine: `ssh -X -f my.linux.hostname xclock`).