[plug] OpenOffice.org in a pre-press environment.

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 16 17:14:19 WST 2005

In message <20050116090051.GA10438 at mail.guild.uwa.edu.au>
on Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:00:51PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> I got a phone call because the cover artwork was RGB (!) with NO BLEED
> (!) and needed to be converted into spot colour (!) for a gloss cover
> (!). OH BOY THAT WAS A FUN AFTERNOON (!).

I should add that these front and back covers were photographic (albeit
not full colour -- I'm glad they didn't make *that* mistake). I know
there's probably some magical process by which the printers could have
extracted the raster portions of the pages, converted them to duotones
and tritones, then reinserted them back into the page, but that sounds
distinctly like something they weren't willing to risk. Plus, there was
the problem of the bleed and a lack of opportunity to exchange proofs.