[plug] Connecting to a Linux Desktop from Mac OS X

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 16 22:42:38 WST 2005

On 15/01/2005, at 9:54 PM, Michael Hunt wrote:

> I wonder has anyone else on this list had any success in running a
> remote Linux desktop on Mac (OS X Apple X11)???

Hi Michael.
Yes. As a matter of fact i do run a remote Linux desktop on my iBook.
I simply connect to the Linux server from my iBook using VNC.
If you are after that fancy SSH stuff i wouldn't know but here is my
setup:

1. Server PC - Mandrake 10.0 Official
    My Linux server is running KDE with mandrake's custom VNC server
app: X0rfbserver
X0rfbserver is still VNC compliant.

2. Apple iBook G4 - 1.2GHz - OS X Panther 10.3.6
The iBook simply connects to the Linux VNC server using a program called
"Chicken of the VNC" i know, the name is weird but it works well.

So quite simply, install a VNC server on your Linux PC, if you don't
already have one
and download Chicken of the VNC.
You can get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

It runs quite well, just need to make sure you don't forget to enable
the VNC ports
on BOTH your server and OS X machine, which are usually TCP ports:
5900-5902.

Hope this helps

Brock Woolf
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable but more
useful than a life spent doing nothing. - George Bernard Shaw