[plug] 2.6 kernel upgrade and ACPI on Tyan 2640

Collin Baillie collin at xorotude.com
Wed Jan 19 13:05:59 WST 2005

Hi list,

Once again, I'm considering switching to linux as my desktop OS. I am a slackware user since ~1995.

I've previously switched to newer kernels by d'loading the source from kernel.org and compiling, but I've been wondering if this is enough? Slackware installs have a 'kernel headers' package, and I'm wondering if this will effect things. Can anyone point me in the right direction for implementing a 2.6 kernel on my fresh install?

The reason for wanting a 2.6 kernel is better hardware support. I have a Tyan S2640, dual Athlon MP 1700+ pc and 2.6 apparently has better ACPI support for my board. I've tried compiling custom kernels for this board previously, and had problems with hangs or loooong delays while rebooting/powering down. I'd like to get this sorted out but am unsure whether it's something I'm not doing right in the kernel config, or the kernel I was using.

Finally, does anyone know of any restrictions I might experience when using WineX/Cedega from CVS instead of paying for it? I have half-life 2 and a number of other windows games I'd like to still be able to play. I really don't want to dual boot, my 40GB hadd has enough trouble containing 1 OS at a time :)

Thanks,

Collin