[plug] exim3 / amavis / fprot/clam / spamassassin

Shayne O'Neill shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au
Thu Jan 20 12:23:33 WST 2005

Ok.

Ive  been contemplating upgrading exim3 to exim4 to utilise the hooks for
virus checkers and spam killers. But I've found out about amavis and that
it works fine with exim3 (via the ol' loop thu smtp shenanigans), and I
*really* dont like fixing what isnt broken (changing mta's), plus I know
exim3 like the back of my hand.

Can anyone tell me

A: Whats the performance hit. I imagine this means it has to do 2 loops
thru exim. However since the smtp hook is right at the start of the
routers it shouldnt be too big. Am I right?

B: There is the option to use fprot ws (evaluate of course, upgrade to
server sure sure.) for free, or clamav for actual free. Is there a
compelling reason to do this. Clamav does seem to work ok, but is there
much of a performance hit?

C: Is there a way to use DSPAM with amavis. The stats quoted seem, well,
compelling.

D: Anything else I ought be aware of?

I did do a little experiment on a non critical machine, and it sorta
mostly worked. A little crashy problem that I suspect is more to my
blatant lifting of a demo config without reviewing settings re amavis.

--
"Well, I think if you say you're going to do something and don't do
it, that's trustworthiness."