[plug] USB drive

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Fri Jan 21 02:14:18 WST 2005

I've been playing with a USB2 hdd carrier with a 40GB notebook drive..
Wondering if someone can expand my understanding a touch...  8^)===
First up - it works fine. No drama. Suse 9.2.
What I am trying to confirm, does the USB carrier abstract the
filesystem to a generic USB storage device?

It _seems_ to.. The disk is available as /dev/sdaX, but it doesn't get
listed as a mounted drive using "df".

Or have I missed something here?

If this is correct, the filesystem on the USB'd hdd [I'm using ext3] is
handled by hardware..?
This would be very cool as it would make 'nix disks available to OSs
which aren't otherwise aware.. But it raises the problem that if the
hardware IS abstracting the filesystem, you'd need to be aware of the
range of filesystems your model of carrier takes..

Just tried a "df -a".. It lists the devices and mount points [uses
/media/usb-reallylong number], but the capacity, used and available are
all zero... And there is no listing in /etc/fstab...

BUT... Going into "My Computer" [a front for Konqueror] gives you access
using the device name, but jumps to the mount point - and properties
once inside the folder gives the stats [capacity/used/available] for the
volume...

If [and I've sort of mostly convinced myself here] the OS is handling
the pseudo mounting of the USB'd drive, how do you go on a Linux box
that doesn't try to be so windows-like?

And if the OS is handling things, can you get 'nix filesystem capability
into XP/2000/'98...?

Oh bugger, this'll mean an ext3 drive wouldn't be available to a MP3
player with host capability..