[plug] formatting new external usb hardrive

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 21 07:11:53 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 19:18 +0800, Sol wrote:

Personnel comment - avoid ext3 if theres any chance of a premature
powerdown/unplug: I changed back to reiserfs, and after a couple of
crashes/resets theres still no errors, unlike what has happened with
ext3.  ext3 has a data=journelled option which may help in some cases.

I found rsync did not work well in the context of full system backups.
It ran out of memory very quickly with many thousands of files and also
took a long time.  Use "unison" which uses the rsync protocol, but makes
better use of it for this purpose.

BillK