[plug] formatting new external usb hardrive

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 21 09:28:41 WST 2005

William Kenworthy wrote:

> I found rsync did not work well in the context of full system backups.
> It ran out of memory very quickly with many thousands of files and also
> took a long time.

I'm curious how many thousands of files you had... I regularly run
rsync on 80,000 file sets (and have done close to 200,000 in the past)
and have not encountered any problems.  The rsync process does take up
a fair amount of memory but even a modest machine by today's standards
should be able to cope.

Cameron