[plug] nvidia driver

Evert van Dijk evert at silver-sword.net
Fri Jan 21 18:48:43 WST 2005

 From a now archived post I offer this

So I just installed Fedora Core 3 plus the nVidia drivers on my Amd64,
and the result was a system that hang on "Configuring kernel parameters.
Here what I did to fix it:
1) Interrupt Grub from booting, edit the bootparameters with "e"-key,
and remove the "rhgb"-parameter from the boot parameters. The continue
booting normally. (This will skip the graphical boot in Fedora.)
2) Fedora complains about not being able to start GDM, ignore it and
cancel all questions to get to the login prompt.
3) Login as root, enter "init 3" to go to single-user mode. Enter
"modprobe nvidia" to load the nvidia-module.
4) Finally, enter "cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices/" to fix the
boot problem.
5) Now just enter "init 5" and you're back in business.

the only change I have that I entered runtime 3 by adding "init 3"
without the quotes to the second line
that enabled me to skip step 2 and 3

Now I realise that you are now using Fedora Core anything but I have
assumed from my experience that the problem might just lie in the
updated Kernel
Also I realise that you are compiling your own kernel and drivers so
this whole thing might just be way of track.
on the other hand it might give you some insight

Good luck