[plug] Need a shop that polishes CD's

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jan 22 14:36:49 WST 2005

Senectus . wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 09:48:19 +0400, Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> wrote:
>
>>Senectus . wrote:
>>
>>>My copy Of SuSE Enterprise server is badly scuffed.. and I need it,
>>>does anyone know of a shop that will polish cd's ??
>>>Preferably south of the river, maybe even in the Bentley region?
>>>

>>I use toothpaste on the tip of my finger.. (Brasso is too coarse)
>>
>>As long as the label side is not punctured and you can't see light through the disk you should be
>>able to polish out, or at least smooth the edges of any scratch sufficiently to get a good read/copy
>>of the disk.
>

> We've only got the gel stuff here.. do you think that would work?

Yep, just put a little on the tip of your finger and work gently in small circles (don't make linear
scratches). By the time you are finished and have washed and dried the disk, you will swear it will
never play again as it will look quite dull and badly scuffed, but I have had great luck bringing
otherwise unrecoverable disks back from the dead (especially some limited edition, out of print
Mozart that a friend of mine had). Whack the disk in a drive and back it up.

I use that technique to render unplayable dodgy DVD's that are available here readable enough to get
a good copy of also.

Brad