[plug] Linux on the Mac Mini

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun Jan 23 13:57:41 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 13:46, rpowersau at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:53:06 +0800, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've just been reading the following article:
> >
> > http://www.sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/
> >
> > It looks like people will be installing PPC Debian on the Mac Mini once
> > they are available.
> >
> > The only issue I can see at the moment is that there is no open source
> > drivers for the Apple Airport/Broadcom chipset.
>
> Use usb for wireless.  :)

Yeah thats a work-around but it would be much neater if you didn't have
to.

I've been looking at turning my Linksys WRT54g into OpenWRT/Asterisk box
but the little MIPS processor while in many cases being adequate isn't
fast enough for certain codecs (iLBC) and there is very limited storage
for voice mails as you must save them in RAM and then offload them
somewhere else (perhaps via e-mail).

I'm playing with the idea of having a Mac Mini/Debian PPC/Asterisk
superserver box inside with a weather proofed WRT54g outside so I can
make and receive VOIP calls when i'm out on the Jetty down the back or
at the pub next door.