[plug] [OT] DVD Other Regions

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 10:21:53 WST 2005

All comments following have no legal basis, just observaional experience.

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:42:39 +0800, Timothy White <weirdo at tigris.org> wrote:
> After reading an interesting thread on WP I was interested in what some
> of you Pluggers think/know in relation to Other Zoned DVD's.
> Basically the thread was talking about the Selling and Hiring of Other
> Zoned DVD's in Australia and the importation of them.
> It was talking about DMCA and some law changes effect the 1st of this year.
> Basically I have 2 questions, one out of interest and one for a friend.
> 1) What is the current status with importing DVD's?
> e.g. Genuine DVD's from Bali?

There exists legal dvds in Bali?

After chatting with a customs guy when coming back from Bali last year
he said customs would ignore amounts less than 50, after which they'd
look at people on a case by case basis. pr0n being particularly
frowned upon.

I have a feeling (with no basis) that importing goods for sale
qualifies for a ton of tax laws and restrictions.

> e.g. Pirated DVD's from Bali?

Illegal everywhere, but similar applies to the legal case.

> 2) Are stores allowed to Hire/Sell Other Zoned DVD's and are people
> allowed to bring them from other countrys (for personal use and if they
> are legit)?

(Almost) Every dvd store in Perth will refuse to order in dvd that
aren't from their distributor, who i'm guessing get good prices on the
dvds in return for only selling Region 1 titles.

Having said that... Empire toys in Perth will order in dvds from other
regions, and are nice enough to warn you that Region 1 dvd wont play
on many dvd players. I have o idea if what they do is considered
legal, the best people to ask would be them.

Carl G