[plug] Linux hardware compatibility

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 29 12:44:19 WST 2005

Replies inline...

<snip>
> - the 5 (five) series Intel chips with hyperthreading.  (I
> don't want to start an AMD vs Intel flame war here - and I
> consider that going to AMD's 64bit architecture is too early
> since there is little true 64 bit software yet.)

It's not 64-bit software that makes the big speed jump. It's mainly the
onboard memory controller of a AMD 64.
I was an Intel stalwart, and I regularly played the Tom's Hardware Guide
video showing the cooling shutdown of Intel chips compared to the burning of
AMD chips as part of my "evidence", however Intel no longer has the best
processor.
The price is good, a speed difference between chips is actually visible, and
AMD64s put out less heat per square cm than the Intel. New AMD64s put out
~65 Watts, Intels Prescotts put out 90W, and for comparison an regular iron
puts out 7W (all per square cm).

While I don't want to start the whole AMD Vs Intel thing either, Intel
aren't king of the (technical) hill anymore.
Besides, Intel used to make a big thing about there being no 64-bit software
out there, but the new Prescotts have EM64T built in as well now :P

> - DDR2 RAM instead of DDR

Doubling your amount of DDR, making sure it's in dual channel mode, and
coupling it with an AMD64 will give you better value for your money, and the
speed difference from DDR2 is minimal. (The cost difference isn't)

> - at least one or two PCIexpress slots along with PCI.
> - PCIexpress x16 graphics instead of AGP x8

If you do go AMD, the only real choice is a Nforce 3 or 4 motherboard, just
for reliability. Linux support is there for the nforce chipsets, but I don't
think it specifically supports NCQ SATA commands yet.

<snip>

> 5/ Anyone running their own system with such hardware and
> have you had Linux problems because of it?

Three friends have all bought PCs like this and two are running Fedora Core
3, and the other is running SuSE 9.2 (both which support AMD_x64 processors)

> TIA
>
> Regards, Gavin

Regards,

CraigF.