[plug] Linux hardware compatibility

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jan 29 20:40:23 WST 2005

Michael Collard wrote:

> I got to test a K8T800 and a Nforce3 board for my A64. The Via chipset
> was a clear winner for me because of lack of support for the NForce3
> chipset (this was back in April). This may not be the same now, but then
> as now, Linux fully supports my K8T800 and other peripherals (inc SATA)
> on the board.

I have deliberately avoided the nForce chipsets because of the driver issues, however I must admit
I'm getting sick of the underperforming, quirky VIA PCI bus interfaces. At one point I nearly tossed
the whole thing in and moved to Intel, only because most of their chipsets *don't* suck.
I have only owned 3 intel processors in my life. My original 8086, a Pentium-100 and my current
Laptop PIII-M.
If nVidia sort out reliable, hassle free in-kernel supported chipset drivers and support lm-sensors
properly I'll probably make the switch.

I note the new Tyan AMD MP boards are nVidia based.

The current performance I'm getting out of my home server due to VIA's sucky PCI bus is just
frustrating me beyond belief, and the issues I have with my HTPC and PCI DMA transfers are huge.
Intel motherboards (and the old Tyan MP boards based on the AMD760 chips just don't have these
problems).

VIA chips are great "lowest common denominator". They just work most of the time, are well supported
by drivers but just don't perform.

Brad