[plug] Newbie Guide - The beginning

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 29 22:22:16 WST 2005

Mark J Gaynor wrote:
> choosing a distro that suits you. The one biggest problems Linux has
> is choice, with windows you get what Microsoft want you to have and
> nothing more.

Recent research has shown that quality of life appears to be inversly proportional to the number of choices one has... (sorry I can't provide a reference here)

> The distros that are making inroads in the corporate work station arena
> have one GUI and a suite of the most commonly used applications after
> install.
>
> Now there's a thought, each distro needs a beginners/newbie install
> option. That would solve most problems of choice! A basic starting point
> after which you can get more adventurous.

That was Xandros 2 for me.  I hacked around the edges for several years but never really got sufficiently comfortable to use linux full time.  Now I boot MS only occasionally when what I need is not yet available in the *nix world.

Jim