[plug] Linux hardware compatibility

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 29 22:43:34 WST 2005

Mine was a memory problem - after a couple of years I upgraded the bios
- no reason, just because I noticed an update.  It quickly became
apparent that the system was now running at an entirely different level.
The candidate fix was "some windows systems may see a memory conflict
that may degrade performace" or something similar (was a while back
now!)

Now I check the bios upgrade status for my machines every few months -
not that I always upgrade, some dell bios's have actually been worse
than the original: check first (relevant email lists/web sites), you
have been warned! Also bios upgrades that go wrong can mean a
permanently dead motherboard.

BillK

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 21:20 +0800, Michael Collard wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 16:40 +0400, Brad Campbell wrote:
> > Michael Collard wrote:

> I hear a few people saying things like this regarding VIA chipsets but
> I've never seen it. What are the actual problems that you have?
>
> Cheers
> Michael Collard

Home!