[plug] Help at workshops

harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sun Jan 30 11:47:30 WST 2005

Damn. Post (now written) is too long.

Expurgated (no Gannet):

1. I suggest posting to the list prior to workshops with an issue to solve.
2. People will then be expecting you at the workshop, and
3. People may have a chance to think about your problem beforehand, or
4. People may be able to suggest things to try at home which avoids [11].
5. Writing the post (defining the problem) makes your brain evaluate the
   problem differently, because
6. You may be half way through writing the post, or
7. Justifying your attempt by rechecking the paucity of Google entries, and
8. You say: "Damn, that could be it..." and never have to press Send.
9. I do [8] often but I leave the To: field empty till I'm done, because
10. I avoid bumping Send and posting all the swear-y, teeth gnashing bits
    :-)
11. The workshop _is_ up three floors of stairs. You Arnie, or what ??

Harry

There were two issues discussed post-AGM last Monday. One was lamenting
newbie documentation and I wish Arie well with his project.

The initial good comment from Innis was about getting peoples
attention at workshops. I remember passing his video freeze issue off to
Craig at one workshop (because, other than swapping the video card to
see if it was a hardware issue, I know bugger all about diagnosing video
driver issues and Craig knows more in this area). I've chatted to Prez
Cameron trying to figure out how (the royal) we slipped up here and Innis'
video looked like a 3d problem related to Flight Simulator (?) or something
and Adrian got to look at it because he is is one of those gaming dudes who
has a better handle on the 3d stuff. Sorry if this wasn't solveable, Innis.

Being passed around is generally what happens; not as a fob off but to
keep hitting the problem with new heads to see if different solutions pop
up. If it didn't get sorted out it may be because some things don't.
Sometimes the right person isn't there who might twig to what's going on.
Hardware is compatible with Windows because the manufacturers wrote drivers
to make it so (so they could sell their stuff). Linux volunteers have had to
figure it out often from the "outside" which amazes me at how much is
supported. Sometimes it isn't. It's always improving. Support manufacturers
and suppliers that support Linux.

But to respond to the issue of not being able to get some attention, I
know the committee said they would discuss the idea of an MC that was
raised on Monday. I think it's a good idea. But I've also observed people
zinging around all night: Nick B, Adrian, Bernard, Cameron, with people
clammering to solve their problem. Heck, some nights, I'm amoungst the
clammer-ers too. Knowledge or skill is a melting pot not a continuum with
some Unwashed Lamenting Newbie / Elitist Facist Geek threshold with a
bridge over the divide. MC: "And what is your faaavourite colourrr?"
(feeble joke). This is a User Group (or club) of like minded people
looking to help where they can.

I'd like to suggest that people use the list to pre-empt coming along to
the workshop. That way, you can either say "I'm such-and-such and I asked
about issue X on the list", or "Is so-and-so here tonight? They had made
some suggestions about my post on the list and I wanted to ask them ..."
Perhaps you can ask someone offlist if they will be at the workshop and
even pre-empt getting a helper.

I think it will improve the chances of solving a problem if you can
pre-empt your attendance. It can also work in several unexpected ways ..

[see expurgated]

The reason for this long post (sorry) is that I have Computer Angels
participants that arrange a time to come in and get some help and we
agree on what they need to bring for some minor fix. Then they arrive
with a list of "ancilliary" questions or another problem that, if I'd
known beforehand, I would have asked them to bring, say, their modem or
something to test out the issue. Some of these people have caught the
train to see us carrying a CPU box and I can't assist them with some
more serious issue and they have to do it all again the following week!
Sometimes, it is implied that this is my fault; clearly because I failed
Computer Telekinesis and Paraphyscology (with Mind Reading elective) 101
 =':o  Volunteering is a fast way to learn the diverse views that human
beans have about their world !

Rest snipped. Even dribblier.

cu
Harry