[plug] Newcomers' welcome

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jan 30 13:27:04 WST 2005

Thanks James, that's quite a comprehensive list you've put together.

James Devenish wrote:

> The following guidelines can also be viewed and bookmarked at
> our website if you wish to delete this e-mail:

I'm inclined towards putting it on a separate page; it's become quite
long.  Perhaps also steal any useful bits from the current (brief)
guidelines on the link you mentioned and Onno's WAMUG guidelines.

> 1/

> In particular, let us know about any "errors message" you have
> received.

> 	For example: if you wanted to know "how to use your CD
> 	burner", you need to let us know a few salient details. You

Should be "error messages"?  Also are the quotes really necessary or
are you just going for the Dr Evil look again?

> 2/ If you have had your computer at a PLUG workshop

or installfest,

> or have been referred via some other organisation (e.g. Computer
> Angels), it is probably worth mentioning it.

> 4/ Always write for the benefit of being read. Try to be
> considerate by writing good sentences with correct spelling so
> that people can search your message for keywords. Remember that
> e-mail is sometimes tricky to understand and it is not the same
> as talking face-to-face.

Maybe mention some paraphrase of Postel's Law and/or a suggestion to
not reply to flame bait or trolls?

> 6/ If you make use of the advice received on this list, reply
> to it and tell us whether it worked or didn't work. This helps
> anyone else who has the problem in future.

6a/ If you posted a question to the list and subsequently solved the
problem, it is good form to reply to the list and say what you did to
solve it.  This way your message will be useful for anyone searching
the archives in future and others on the list won't spend any of their
time answering a question you've already answered yourself.

Cameron.