[plug] Newbys guide

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Jan 30 15:18:16 WST 2005

<post length="long">
Kev wrote:

> --->o snip o<---
>
> This is NOT a flame, just an attempt to explain the reality of the
> problem.  I, for instance, want to move over from OS/2 (coz the
> writing's on the wall for OS/2) with a minimum of fuss, without having
> to understand "compile", "make file", "tarball" etc.

Hmm. I understand your frustration. I used to 'upgrade' mandrake so I
could install another software package because I couldn't get RPM's to
work. I'd boot the installer and 'upgrade.'

Just pulling in a bit from what James said. Yes Linux is hard to just
install applications.

It doesn't have to be. I just installed a new desktop environment
without compiling anything or worrying about dependencys. I can install
OpenOffice without a worry.

<secure_area flame=no>
I can just apt-get 99% of the software I need/want.
</secure_area>

What distribution are you using Kev? From my newbie experience Debian
(and derivatives excluding Knoppix) has been the best for me. If I want
a new software package I do a 'apt-cache search' for the keywords and
then 'apt-cache show' the packages that look interesting and then
'apt-get install' and even on dialup I get a stable working system.
It's even easier with synaptic. No command line.

> I, for instance, want to move over from OS/2 (coz the writing's on the
> wall for OS/2) with a minimum of fuss, without having to understand
> "compile", "make file", "tarball" etc.

I believe that this is possible. As long as most of the software you
want is fairly standard. Of course if it starts getting exotic then you
may have to do some exotic things and be prepared for the occasional
breakage.

For those newbie's who want to try Debian but really don't like to get
there hands dirty, try Ubuntu. There is an excellent Guide that guides
you through difficult areas and because it is aimed only at Ubuntu it
works (for the current version at least.)

The last time I compiled something would have been when I was doing
hobby programming.

Give us a list of things that you really need under Linux and I'll tell
you if it's possible under Debian/Ubuntu.

My only gripe is because it's so easy to install software that I can end
up getting software bloat like I used to do under Windows. I have so
much installed that I rarely use. Pity that there isn't a feature that
tells you when a package was last used by looking at the atimes of all
files in the package and taking the last atime.

</post>
Sorry for the babble.

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net