[plug] Newbys guide

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jan 30 18:08:38 WST 2005

Craig Ringer wrote:

> > At one point I used a shareware Windows programme running under WINE
> > in Linux to do this.  There's also gramofile (included in Debian)
> > which does declicking of music from records and audacity (also in
> > Debian) which is supposed to be a good audio editor but has a pretty
> > unintuitive interface.
>
> To be honest, I've always found the easiest way to do this was just to
> use `cdrecord'.
>
> $ cdrecord dev=n,n,n -audio track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav ...

Hmm.  I was assuming that the tricky bit was getting the audio from
vinyl LPs and into wav files, not the actual burning of CDs.  K3b is
my preferred tool for burning CDs and DVDs and can handle various
types of sound files being dropped onto a window (as in most Windows
CD burning software) to make an audio CD.  The GNOME alternatives seem
to be lagging quite a bit behind at the moment, from what I can see,
though the integrated nautilus CD burner is faster and simpler for
just getting data or an ISO onto a disc.

> where dev= is found with cdrecord -scanbus.

(Which doesn't seem to work in recent kernels, due to disputes between
the cdrecord author and the kernel guys on how ATAPI CD burners should
work.)

Cameron.