[plug] Newbys guide

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jan 30 23:26:54 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 19:09 +0800, Kev wrote:

> Yes I know about grammofile, but I have no multimedia.
>
> > To be honest, I've always found the easiest way to do this was just to
> > use `cdrecord'.
> >
> > $ cdrecord dev=n,n,n -audio track1.wav track2.wav track3.wav ...
> >
> > where dev= is found with cdrecord -scanbus. It "just works" with none of
> > the painful stuffing about I've usually found is necessary in GUI CD
> > burning utilities.
>
> To get me started I want point 'n' shoot.

Which is fine, though it has little to do with my statement above. I
wasn't answering a question from you, I was expressing a personal
preference in a reply to Cameron. I wasn't making any statement about
your preferences or what I thought was good for you.

> > If you use your distro's package management system, removing apps should
> > be a non-issue.
>
> There we are, back into the greek again.

I actually find that a bit rude. I'd appreciate it if you could say,
perhaps, "I don't know what you mean by <blah>, mind explaining it?"

What you wrote is instead dismissive and in my view very unhelpful.
Given all the recent calls for politeness / civil conversation
(something I think is pretty consistently present already, but
anyway...), perhaps you'd do me the courtesy of at least not leaping in
to totally dismiss my comments?

--
Craig Ringer