[plug] Newbys guide

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sun Jan 30 23:36:05 WST 2005

Timothy White wrote:
> Cameron Patrick wrote:

>>> Not wanting to sound like a broken record but I believe that Debian
>>> should be able to do all of that.
>>>

>> Heh.  Reliable USB?  Linux?  Bah.  Well, some USB devices work
>> reliably for me (mice, keyboards, cameras, RS232 serial port adapters)
>> but I find USB storage devices (flash drives and hard drives) to often
>> need to be plugged and unplugged a few times before they'll show up.
>> Likewise firewire disc drives.  A lot of USB devices just aren't
>> supported at all under Linux.  Others "sorta kinda" work.  Oh, and
>> some USB chipsets are completely broken in certain kernel versions
>> (e.g. nforce USB in 2.6.8 would never work for me).  Yay.
>>
>> Okay, I'll stop ranting now, I think I'm scaring the newbies and I
>> should probably be setting a good example or something. :-/
>>

> Everything that I've tried has worked. Ok, so it is only cameras and
> flash drives but plug-in and I'm away. With the hal hotplug layer
> running everything is sweet. No mounts or anything, just auto.
>
> Tim

So far I've only had one minor glitch with USB storage.  My Fujifilm camera and Lexar USB key are immediately detected and mounted.   However the Shintaro USB 2.0 Pocket Disk I just bought appears to have a hub between the storage unit and the connector, and is not automagically mounted.  I can mount it manually though.

Jim