[plug] Point and Click

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Jan 30 23:53:11 WST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-30 at 23:38 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> Has anyone got comments on ROX and Zero Install?
>
> It could be a real winner for Windoz users but how good is it in the
> long run for multi-user computers (still desktop, not servers)?

I'm unconvinced, myself. It still requires the user to have appropriate
development headers installed for various packages; that's one of the
things that often catches newbies out.

I also think it's rather impractical for larger apps. Zero-install OO.o?

Personally, I'm in favour of encouraging compatibility between distros
to the extent where it's possible to build packages that just work on
all of them. Failing that, I'd at least want a source package that could
clearly explain its dependencies.

There's also the issue of limited support for Zero-install, and the fact
that it's yet another layer and another thing to learn.

--
Craig Ringer