Live CDs (was: Re: [plug] Dazed and Confused - Need Help ?)

harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Jan 31 13:34:22 WST 2005

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 13:05:12 +0800 Cameron Patrick
<cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> wrote:

> Carl Gherardi wrote:
>
> > (Note: i've never seen the CA distro, my understanding is its
> > debian+fvwm)
>
> It used to be; now our minimum hardware spec is higher and we're using
> Debian Sarge with XFCE 4.2.  We have the usual niceties of a graphical
> file manager, Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird, Openoffice and so on.  I
> still wouldn't recommend it (yet) as a general distribution to
> recommend to PLUG newbies who have powerful enough computers to run
> Ubuntu or Mandrake.

Onno's post has prompted me.

Nick Bannon told me about a very cool hack of a Live CD that you boot and
if you like it, you can click to install to hard disk so it images itself
down to the hard disk ..

<jargon and peril sensitive sunglasses = on>
mounts and pivots root to the hard disk (I presume)
<jargon and peril sensitive sunglasses = off>

.. and you are running from the hard disk. Remove CD.

An evaluation and HDD installation WITHOUT REBOOT.

Praps Nick or someone can speak up with details as a possible option for
the novice distro.

All the best
Harry

--