[OT] Child development, was:Re: [plug] wow.. hell got a bit cooler today...

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Fri Jul 1 16:34:54 WST 2005

On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 16:21:57 +0800 (WST)
Shayne O'Neill <shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

> Thats why they absolutely kill us with there learning curves. Total
> lack of fear, along with no wrong misconceptions to saddle them down.
> Even I still get nervous everytiime I have to reconfigure a package I
> havent dealt with before. I figure kids just do it.
>
> > The thing that impresses me most about kids and computers is the
> > complete lack of fear. My mum used to run a course in Albany on
> > computers for oldies, and you just cant instill the same level of
> > 'it doesnt matter, you cant break it' in adults no matter how hard
> > you try.....

Children are naturally curious (mostly) it comes with the discovering
"how things work" and how they interact and fit into their environments.
It is the curiosity and the greater ability to absorb / store / process
the vast quantities of data that helps them to pick things up so
quickly. As we get older our ability to learn things tails off.
I think its somewhere around the age of 6 - 8 that this increased
learning potential starts to level out. The message is "get them
involved whilst they are very young."

My three (for better or worse) have been using computers since about 12
months. The oldest (now 7) has just found google and is using it to find
out about things that "crop up" in conversations or books etc. The
latest was the tasmanian tiger (google search) and dragon pictures
(google images).

Regards to all,

--

Adam Davin