[plug] Network/Modem related questions

Timothy White weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 00:00:57 WST 2005

> 'man pppstats', 'man pppdump'
Nether of these appear to do what I want. pppstats gives me the same
as /proc/net/dev just in another format.
I don't want to know the quantity of data transferred, I want the speed.
>From what I've now read it appears the only way to do this is sample.
So sample, wait 2 seconds, sample again and average. Seeing as it's a
web application making use of background traffic streams I can take
the time to 'sleep' on the server side.
I was kinda hoping for an easy way out but I guess not.

Tim
p.s. If anyone wants to sample part of the client and server code for
monitoring a network device activity, just buzz me. You'll need PHP or
similar on the server and Mozilla on the client. (Uses XUL for the
GUI)

Tim