[plug] AV Protection

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 4 12:00:11 WST 2005

Shayne O'Neill <shayne at guild.murdoch.edu.au> writes:
>On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Bernd Felsche wrote:
>> Chris Watt <something.rotten at gmail.com> writes:

>> >We're looking at setting up a proper network here at the
>> >community centre and we need to worry about how the AV
>> >protection will be looked after.

>> >The director doesn't want to have to cintinually re-subscribe
>> >al-la Norton style because it always ends up lapsing and costing
>> >too much over the multitude of computers we have here (unless
>> >anyone knows of some global pricing scheme).

>> >So, does anyone know of any comprehensive AV programs that are
>> >free or cheap and work as well as norton?

>> I've heard of something called "Linux" that could be of use. :-)

>Well the non linux answer is tell the director to use avg free
>edition. it works a treat. but it isnt open source :(

The free edition isn't for commercial use unless the licence fee is
paid; in which case it's no longer free.

I've found Antivir to be effective at filtering web traffic in "real
time" using a low-powered (266MHz PIII) CPU. It works well with
Squid. And depending on the licence, it can also be used for email
screening (in conjunction with popular MTA) and for scanning shared
files on access through Samba. A single point of administration for
licences is possible -- yes it's commercial but the cost is not
unreasonable for mail, web and file scanning from Linux (or BSD)
servers.

Just to be "sure"; run I also tend to run a free scanner such as
ClanAV periodically.

The down-side is that you'll have to weld shut the USB ports, floppy
and CD/DVD drives on the bolted-down desktop PC's; and ban portables
that mat have been connected exterally; to be really sure that the
malware doesn't get delivered by another vector.