[plug] AV Protection

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 4 13:30:09 WST 2005

On 4 Jul 2005 at 10:21, Chris Watt wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> We're looking at setting up a proper network here at the community
> centre and we need to worry about how the AV protection will be looked
> after.

I would recommend that you use AVG free.

> The director doesn't want to have to continually re-subscribe al-la
> Norton style because it always ends up lapsing and costing too much
> over the multitude of computers we have here (unless anyone knows of
> some global pricing scheme).

If you require multiple licenses I think you find that AVG have very reasonable pricing structures.

However - if you are a non-profit  organisation I don't see why you couldn't get away with using
the free version.

> So, does anyone know of any comprehensive AV programs that are free or
> cheap and work as well as norton?

AVG works extremely well , and also does email scanning and certification - it also takes care of
all downloads and updates transparently. Occasionally the systems will need to be rebooted to
finish an update - but AVG can be configured to complete the update the next time the PC is
switched on.

The interface takes a little getting used to - but it is logical and reasonably self explanatory.

You didn't say how many PC's you have on your network - but I would suggest that you set up just
one PC to access the internet for the AVG updates and thus only need one registration.

Then on that PC set up a directory as a central repository to receive all updates and downloads for
AVG ( will involve a registry hack to make the system look at this new directory for locating
updates - rather than have it embedded in your Windows directory tree) - then configure all other
PC's on the network to update from this new directory.

AVG updates are usually in the form of "****.bin" files.

Once set up - AVG (on each PC) will check for and manage updates for your network in a totally
transparent manner. AVG will check for updates every time it senses a network connection.

HTH.

Regards Arie