[plug] International student w/ DDoS and social engineering history

hooker at iinet.net.au hooker at iinet.net.au
Tue Jul 5 05:48:08 WST 2005

Quoting Bob Linus <bob0linus at gmail.com>:
> When the guy was shelling out $60 for a remote server in the US, which
> he said was through a paypal and a fake physical ID, 200GB throughput
> / month running full tilt for DDoSes (user names "evil" and "chaos")
> -- I don't know.   I felt sorry for the guy since he had only 2
> classes before finishing uni, which I made clear to him.  So long as
> he cleaned up.
>
> He's a practiced social engineer and a pretty good liar.   I don't
> know if I gave him enough to think about by describing his activity
> and one of the spybot viruses in detail back to him.  Pretty cocky to
> store it on our ADSL account.
>
> *sigh*  I hope he cleans up, and I fear how he will be taken in the
> workplace in Perth/Freo since IT guys don't seem as common for a city
> like this.  I don't see him as an administrator that would treat
> sensitive information as sensitive.
>
> I still have logs, but not sure how much is required, desired, or
> bothered with to deal with a guy like this, esp. as a non-Aussie
> citizen.   The curious thing is that he's involved with a ring of
> other Turkish DDoS individuals.   I'm not sure how many locals he has
> met that also participate in the same activity.

There is, perhaps, another way to look at this. If you report him to the police
for the kind of actions that you're describing, you're likely to be helping
other businesses in Perth. Here at iiNet we're pretty much continually looking
for staff, and the last kind of person we want is the kind of clown that you're
describing. I'm sure most other companies would feel the same.

My personal view of this kind of behaviour is that one chance is all you get -
he tidies up his act or harm happens.

Hook