[plug] LiLo

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Jul 6 00:36:10 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 00:06 +0800, Chris Watt wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I have a system here dual booting Qin XP Home and Ubunut using LiLo as
> the boot loader (GRUB wouldn't install unfortunately).  Since I
> upgraded the system, the LiLo boot loader no longer opens into a
> choice, just goes straight to Ubuntu.  I need to get some files from
> the windows partitions (hda1 i believe) and want to know if I can
> mount it or whether i can set it as a slave drive in another win xp
> machine and drag the data that way.
>
> any help is appreciated.
>
> chjeers
> ~Chris

Chris,

As with so many things - it depends. Your Windows partition is most
likely to be /dev/hda1 - but whether you will be able to mount it
depends on what filesystem it has if it is vfat or fat32 or whatever
that's fine, but if it's NTFS, you may have a problem, although there
are (I believe) useable NTFS drivers (read-only)

0) To mount it (as root)
mkdir /mnt/winC
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/winC
Note I was lazy and didn't put any type in the mount command - it's
normally clever enough to work that out for itself.

1) What does your /etc/lilo.conf file look like? It has to contain an
entry for Windows to boot it. Add an entry.

2) Does it timeout immediately and boot Ubuntu? Remove any timeout
statement or put a looong timeout in there

3) Make sure that your LILO configuration is the one written to disk.
Run /sbin/lilo after any change in the /etc/lilo.conf file.

Those are 2 things just off the top of my head. Well 3 actually but it's
after midnight ....

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart