[plug] LiLo

Adam Hewitt adam.h at staff.iinet.net.au
Wed Jul 6 09:15:04 WST 2005

=> -----Original Message-----
=> From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au
=> [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On Behalf Of Richard Meyer
=> Sent: Wednesday, 6 July 2005 12:36 AM
=> To: Chris Watt; plug at plug.org.au
=> Subject: Re: [plug] LiLo
=>
=> On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 00:06 +0800, Chris Watt wrote:
=> > Hey Guys,
=> >
=> > I have a system here dual booting Qin XP Home and Ubunut
=> using LiLo as
=> > the boot loader (GRUB wouldn't install unfortunately).  Since I
=> > upgraded the system, the LiLo boot loader no longer opens into a
=> > choice, just goes straight to Ubuntu.  I need to get some
=> files from
=> > the windows partitions (hda1 i believe) and want to know if I can
=> > mount it or whether i can set it as a slave drive in another win xp
=> > machine and drag the data that way.
=> >
=> > any help is appreciated.
=> >
=> > chjeers
=> > ~Chris
=>
=> Chris,
=>
=> As with so many things - it depends. Your Windows partition is most
=> likely to be /dev/hda1 - but whether you will be able to mount it
=> depends on what filesystem it has if it is vfat or fat32 or whatever
=> that's fine, but if it's NTFS, you may have a problem, although there
=> are (I believe) useable NTFS drivers (read-only)
=>
=> 0) To mount it (as root)
=> mkdir /mnt/winC
=> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/winC
=> Note I was lazy and didn't put any type in the mount command - it's
=> normally clever enough to work that out for itself.
=>
=> 1) What does your /etc/lilo.conf file look like? It has to contain an
=> entry for Windows to boot it. Add an entry.
=>
=> 2) Does it timeout immediately and boot Ubuntu? Remove any timeout
=> statement or put a looong timeout in there
=>
=> 3) Make sure that your LILO configuration is the one written to disk.
=> Run /sbin/lilo after any change in the /etc/lilo.conf file.
=>
=> Those are 2 things just off the top of my head. Well 3
=> actually but it's
=> after midnight ....

4) Hold "left-shift" when you see the word LILO and it will bring up the
boot: prompt, you can then hit <TAB> to see the items you are able to
boot, type the name of the windows one (if it exists) and hit enter...

Adam.

<snip>