[plug] john the ripper

simon simon at plumtek.com
Wed Jul 6 14:19:00 WST 2005

W.Kenworthy (billk at iinet.net.au) wrote:

> Google is not a lot of help here ranging from "JtR is a fast cracker" to
> "forever" so I am after "whats a reasonable time"

This strikes me as a very odd question :)

Im guessing by this time that the ripper is beyond a dictionary attack and is
brute forcing? So the question is really, how long do you want the bad guys to
wait?

Just because you can run the ripper against your password file for 400 hours,
doesnt mean that the passwords wont be broken in the 401st hour or sometime
after that.......

All you can be sure of is that, given the simple case that the bad guy has the
same machine as you, the bad guys will have to wait at least as long as you
have.

--
Simon Scott
simon at plumtek.com