[plug] Unix file permission problem (I think)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Thu Jul 7 22:52:16 WST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:42:27PM +0800, Steve Boak wrote:
> I have a funny feeling that I will regret asking this, as it will become
> obvious to me as soon as I have pressed the send button...
>
> I am trying to create a directory 'Linux' on a basically empty partition
> mounted on '/var/share/download', logged in as normal user 'steve'.
>
> Here's the error message:
>
> steve at min:/var/share/download$ mkdir Linux
> mkdir: cannot create directory `Linux': Permission denied
>
> I've checked the directory permissions:
> steve at min:/var/share/download$ ls -ld /var/share/download
> drwxrwxr-x  3 root share 4096 Jul  7 21:56 /var/share/download
>
> I'm in the right group:
>
> steve at min:/var/share/download$ groups steve
> steve : steve audio dip share
>
> What have I missed?

Did you cd into the directory before mounting it? If so, then your
shell will actually be in the old directory (which presumably has
permissions that won't allow that) and you need to cd again :

b at amidala:~$ cd /mnt
b at amidala:/mnt$ ls -ld .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 72 Mar 30 15:01 .
b at amidala:/mnt$ mkdir this
mkdir: cannot create directory `this': Permission denied
b at amidala:/mnt$ ls -ld /space
drwsrwsr-x  2 b b 48 Nov 24  2004 /space
b at amidala:/mnt$ sudo mount --bind /space /mnt
b at amidala:/mnt$ ls -ld .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root root 72 Mar 30 15:01 .
b at amidala:/mnt$ ls -ld /mnt
drwsrwsr-x  2 b b 48 Nov 24  2004 /mnt
b at amidala:/mnt$ mkdir this
mkdir: cannot create directory `this': Permission denied
b at amidala:/mnt$ cd /mnt
b at amidala:/mnt$ mkdir this
b at amidala:/mnt$ cd /

Otherwise, I'm baffled for the time being...

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>