[plug] Unix file permission problem (I think)

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Jul 7 23:18:54 WST 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 23:10 +0800, Steve Boak wrote:

> No, the partition is auto-mounted at boot time.
>
> min:/var/share# cat /etc/fstab
> [...]
> /dev/hda8       /var/share/download     ext3    defaults        0       2
>
> Just thought to check actual group numeric values in case something weird was
> going on here, but they look OK too:
>
> steve at min:/var/share/download$ id steve
> uid=1000(steve) gid=1000(steve) groups=1000(steve),29(audio),30(dip),1001
> (share)
>
> steve at min:/var/share/download$ ls -lnd /var/share/download
> drwxrwxr-x  3 0 1001 4096 Jul  7 21:56 /var/share/download
>
> Steve

I don't know whether this is going to make any difference, but I've been
playing (inconclusively) with the newgrp command - there may be some
setting that requires you to have your EFFECTIVE group the same as the
directory's group.

Not guaranteeing anything, but .....

Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation.
                -- Johnny Hart