[plug] Unix file permission problem (I think)

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri Jul 8 09:13:24 WST 2005

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 07:45 am, Bernd Felsche wrote:
[...]
> >As you suggest, I had created the 'share' group in this session. Can you
> >explain why starting a new xterm does not pick up the new group settings?
>
> Permissions are inherited from the parent process.
>
> If you'd ssh'd into localhost, it would have worked for you.

I think that's what I missed - I assumed xterm WAS a new session, but now
thinking about it, of course I don't need to log in when creating a new
xterm, it's just a new process under my X session.

Where I slipped up was that I had two xterms open, one as 'steve' and the
other as 'root'. I added myself to the 'share' group in the root xterm, and
tried to create the new directory in the 'steve' xterm.

Would changing the group membership using 'sudo chmod ...' in the 'steve'
xterm have worked as I expected? (I haven't set up sudo yet, as I am having
trouble decoding the cryptic man page :-)

Thanks again...

Steve